Pages

Friday, March 22, 2019

She beeps in reverse

My 16-year-old, who has this crazy obsession with large, old, impractical vehicles (A 1970-something Chevy Blazer, specifically.) was curious to drive the van too. She sat up in the driver's seat and squealed about how this would be like driving HER truck when she finally got it. HER truck might even be higher than this. (She also wants her impractical car to be raised, of course.) By the way, if you have one of those for sale, and it runs well, and you wanna sell it to me cheap, let's talk.

The van was parked under my plum tree in front of the house so I told her to back it up first so she didn't take out the branch or the oversized mirror on the van. I waited for her to do it. I waited for her to HEAR IT. And then OMG she about DIED. "We sound like a GARBAGE TRUCK!" It's so funny. We totally sound like a garbage truck in reverse. "That is SO embarrassing!" I really don't think it's that embarrassing. I think it's hilarious. At least I did think it was only funny until I actually had to put her in reverse in a parking lot with other people around. Then it was a little tiny bit embarrassing. And also a little tiny bit funny.

So she pulled the van out and drove it around the big block like I did earlier that morning. A little girl on a bicycle almost crashed into a stop sign pole staring at us. She looked terrified. We drove by her one more time as we finished the loop and she still looked very afraid. (Maybe this will get us a word on NextDoor?)

I think my big kid kind of liked driving it. I hope she liked it enough to be a third road trip driver. I have a feeling this thing will take longer to travel in and be a little more exhausting to drive. Especially compared to the sweet rides we have that were made in this century ... Heck, this decade ... Heck, these last 3 years ...